Some Things A Great Leader Never Does
A great Leader is like a catalyst. (S)He is an example of great leader who motivates, plans well, and leads everyone towards the path to success. (S)He ensures that everybody gives their best for the good of the cause.
There are many things that make a great Leader; here are 7 things that definitely should NOT be on that list.
1. A great Leader never loses sight of the fact that the business exists for the customer – just because you are the boss, does not mean that everything should be about you. It is actually about the customer and this is where the focus should always be. When you forget this very important fact you fail in the most basic skills of leadership in business.
2. A great Leader is an example to his / her followers – leadership in business is all about doing things right; leading by example. The end does not excuse the means, as it is often believed. A great Leader will always respect the law and ensures that others do the same. Whether it is marketing or customer relations, a great Leader shows integrity and by doing so expects it from each and every team member under his / her command.
3. A great Leader would not allow their egos to rule – leadership demands a certain amount of self-assurance and even a whiff of arrogance if you are aiming to be at the top of the ladder; the pinnacle of your niche. But if egos take over, that would be the end of the story.
4. A great Leader never runs down his / her followers in public – no matter what the provocation is, a great Leader will never berate a team member in public. This is the fastest way to alienate your team; and it is suicidal for the leader when the followers end up despising him / her.
5. A great Leader never behaves like a dictator – leadership requires that there is mutual respect between the leader and followers. No follower worth his salt would like to work where the boss just barks orders around. In such a scenario, the good followers will leave leaving behind who have nowhere else to go.
6. A great Leader never encourages ‘yes’ men – while leadership is likely to bring in a certain amount of cohesiveness and assent on various matters, it is important that the Leader creates and maintains an atmosphere where people can voice disagreement without fear. If (s)he has only ‘yes men’ around, (s)he is doomed.
7. A great Leader never calls in favors – I know lots of bosses who play the guilt game, like saying, “Betsy, I was really flexible with your schedule while your son was sick… now I really need you to come through for me and work this weekend.” Generosity should always be a one-way street. Be flexible when being flexible is the right thing to do. Be accommodating when being accommodating is the right thing to do. Never lend money to friends unless you don’t care if you are repaid, and never do “favors” for followers in anticipation of return. Remarkable leaders only give. They never take.
Dr Surya M Ganduri, PhD. PMP. is the Founder & President of eMBC, Inc., an international firm specializing in strategic and executive leadership development processes that Help People Succeed in an Evolving World. Dr Surya has over 28 years of business experience in management consulting, leadership development, executive coaching, process improvements, organizational development and youth leadership. For more information visit www.eMBCinc.com or contact eMBC, Inc., directly at (630) 445-1321.